Swim to Survive® is different than swimming lessons and not a replacement for them. Swim to Survive® teaches just the essentials needed to survive an unexpected fall into deep water - an important first step to being safe around water. The Swim to Survive® program’s flexible and simple design makes it ideal for camps, schools and youth groups. Swim to Survive® can meet even the tightest time frames and budgets. Use Swim to Survive® for:
• Basic survival training for every family member;
• Meeting educational curriculum requirements;
• Workplace safety training;
• Youth group recreational and training needs;
• Screening for outdoor activities such as canoeing and boating; and
• Programming at your community pool.
Basic swimming ability is a requirement of any meaningful attempt to eliminate drowning in Canada. Swim to Survive® defines the minimum swim skills needed to survive an unexpected fall into deep water. Because most drownings occur close to safety and most victims had no intention of going into the water, Swim to Survive® focuses on basic survival skills performed as a sequence of three skills:
- ROLL into deep water
- TREAD water for one minute
- SWIM 50 metres
No specialized certification is required to deliver this program. Although candidate recognition materials are available, it is not a requirement so Swim to Survive® can be absolutely free for you to deliver!