Start Date: Immediate
Why should you join our team?
At YMCA Calgary, we are passionate about our work and know that we are creating a positive impact in the community. Serving the needs of both residents and employees from the surrounding communities and business parks, this City of Calgary-built recreation facility will connect to existing pathways, opening access to surrounding neighborhoods and the Bow River. If you are looking to care deeply about your work, make the community a better place and develop your leadership skills, this is the place for you!
Volunteer Commitment and Privileges
- Upon completion of a period determined by YMCA Calgary, volunteers are eligible for a free citywide YMCA general membership. To continue, volunteers must volunteer a minimum of 2 hours per week. Volunteers will be scheduled according to availability.
- Free training towards becoming a swim instructor and/or lifeguard! Including free bronze medallion, bronze cross, YMCA Swim instructor course, and National Lifeguard!
What qualifications we are looking for:
At YMCA Calgary we strive to ensure our volunteers are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
- Police Information Check and Vulnerable Sector Search
- 3 professional references
- Minimum 14 years of age
What does this role look like at YMCA Calgary?
- Teach a variety of aquatic swim lesson classes alongside a certified swim instructor
- Engaging in a positive, strength-based approach
- Prepared, organized and on time for all programs
- Responsive and friendly to all staff members and other volunteers
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary volunteers?
Our staff and volunteers model and are committed to the following competencies;
Developing the Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.